Topic: Long shot: Can I use Canny 7 with a Non CAN bus car and add CAN bus

I've got a custom car that I've built. It's based on a 97 FORD OBD-II port using the J1850 PWM protocol, the Ford SCP (Standard Corporate Protocol) variation. I want to replace my dash gauges and my climate controls with a digital dash and center stack (think large Tesla center screen).

I've been doing alot of research and what I'd like to do is get the dash cluster information from the J1850 and send it to my processor for all of the screens as CAN information. I'd also like to add some sensors to the CAN network for sensors and devices that are not supported by J1850.

Can the Canny7 help me with my project?

Re: Long shot: Can I use Canny 7 with a Non CAN bus car and add CAN bus

Wow! We have great respect for people who work on such ambitious projects.

The CANNY 7 does not have a J1850 support for now.
So, as I see it, you can try to find, say, J1850-to-UART converter and then use CANNY 7 as UART-to-CAN converter in chain.

I'd also like to add some sensors to the CAN network...

I think CANNY 7 can do it, but it obviously depends on sensor's type.

Konstantin, CANNY logic wrote:

Wow! We have great respect for people who work on such ambitious projects.

The CANNY 7 does not have a J1850 support for now.
So, as I see it, you can try to find, say, J1850-to-UART converter and then use CANNY 7 as UART-to-CAN converter in chain.

I'd also like to add some sensors to the CAN network...

I think CANNY 7 can do it, but it obviously depends on sensor's type.

What do you mean sensor type? Is there a specific CAN sensor type or vehicle I should look to scavenge CAN sensors from?

Unfortunately I don't know any sensors with built-in CAN interface.
I assumed that you want to add non-CAN digital sensors (like Dallas 1-wire) to the CAN using the CANNY 7 as a converter.