Topic: Cannylab - How to seriously Debug?

Hello

How do you debug complex algorithms and ensure all cases are tested?

1]How to execute the debug cessions starting with pre-defined value? Ex: I use the User Parameters, how can I get "init" values for them when I test? I am loosing a lot of time whenever i start a debug cession to set all "init" values.

2]How to test CAN? Can we use a "frame" file to simulate as an input to the simulator? Same for inputs BTW.

Thank you very much!

Stephane.

Re: Cannylab - How to seriously Debug?

Debugging is not very convenient for now but possible.
1. You can implement several methods. Which one is more acceptable depends on the task. Please see attached picture for example, maybe this method will be useful for you.
2. Perhaps building some sort of sub-diagram as test data provider into main diagram and run it in simulator
-or-
Debug in hardware, using couple of controllers - one for main diagram and another with CAN-sender emulator diagram or as Canny CAN Monitor.

Post's attachments

debug.png, 48.69 kb, 734 x 384
debug.png 48.69 kb, 201 downloads since 2019-12-05 

Hello

Thank you so really not convenient!

What you propose for the case of User Parameters is adding blocks we do not want in production and if we remove them after test this means the design changes so needs to be validated again.....

Stephane.

This is unpleasant for us too and we are going to expand the features of the simulator in the future.

I suggested the first thing that came to mind. I do not know your limitations.

Another way is build SFX with default user parameters setted. But this suitable only for running in hardware.

Hello

When you say
"Debug in hardware, using couple of controllers - one for main diagram and another with CAN-sender emulator diagram or as Canny CAN Monitor."

I didn't find the way to hook up the hardware and to debug step by step with it. How should I do ?

Stephane.

You can't stepping in hardware, but you can use LED, UART, IO for debug output.

lelsteph wrote:

Hello
...adding blocks we do not want in production and if we remove them after test this means the design changes so needs to be validated again.....

It may be not necessery, to remove something from diagram if it calculate to constant or if result not used. For now, you will pay some R0M/RAM in hardware for it, but with upcoming optimisations you will get it for free.

Hello

Thank you.

What is "but with upcoming optimisation" ?

Thanks

lelsteph wrote:

Hello

Thank you.

What is "but with upcoming optimisation" ?

Thanks

This is an optimization that have already been implemented but are not yet included in the release.

OK which then will be part of a future release.
Thank you